Chlorophyll - on-going equipment verification

A forum for discussion of small laboratory concerns within TNI.

Moderator: eaturner

Chlorophyll - on-going equipment verification

Postby lcarey » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:29 am

We were recently sited for not verifying all measurement operations and test equipment having an effect on the accuracy and validity of tests on an on-going basis (Chlorophyll spectrophotometer wavelength setting accuracy and absorbance measurement accuracy not checked). (TNI V1M2, 5.6.1)

Has anyone else run into the same issue? If so, aside from having an annual technician come out and 're-certify' the instrument, can anyone offer any other options? I would prefer to be creative and develop an in-house method for performing these checks.

Thank you!
lcarey

Re: Chlorophyll - on-going equipment verification

Postby bbarnett » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Companies like Precision Cell actually sell calibration reference sets.
bbarnett

Postby russ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:44 am

With the use of a traceable reference, this could be set up to be done on the 1st of each month or if critical measurement, daily check. Worth a little effort to show high regard you have for accuracy. Russ
russ

Postby lcarey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:01 pm

I do agree that purchasing a traceable set of reference standards would be easy to integrate into our lab's quality procedures. The cost of these sets are quite high. I was hoping for a more in-house remedy to verify the instrument's function or even considering an 'annual' calibration/certification of sorts provided by an outside vendor. Any thoughts on this?
lcarey

Return to Small Laboratory Advocacy Group