National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (NELAP)
One of the ways that TNI fosters the generation of data of known and documented quality is through the National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program, or NELAP. The purpose of this program is to establish and implement a program for the accreditation of environmental laboratories.
NELAP relies on consensus standards representing the best professional practices in the industry to establish the requirements for this program, which is then implemented by state agencies recognized by TNI as Accreditation Bodies. The TNI Standard for laboratories, Volume 1, is modeled after ISO/IEC 17025:2005 "General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories." TNI Standard Volume 2 is the Accreditation Body (AB) requirements to accredit laboratories. The AB Standard is based on ISO/IEC 17011:2004 "Conformity Assessment – General Requirements for Accreditation Bodies Accrediting Conformity Assessment Bodies." Volumes 3 and 4 relate to the proficiency testing components of NELAP.
- Laboratory Accreditation System Executive Committee
- NELAP Accreditation Council
- NELAP Technical Assistance Committee
- Advocacy Program
- Consensus Standards Development Program
- Upcoming Meetings
- Small Laboratory Advocacy Group (Discussion Board)
- The New TNI Standards (Discussion Board)
- Frequently Asked Questions